The high volume of foreclosures in recent years created a strain for many muncipalities as they struggled with the issue of unmaintained vacant properties. To assist them in locating the parties responsible for maintaining these types of properties, homeowners and government entities should first reach out to their servicer. In addition, MERS® System Members can enter property preservation contacts for each loan registered on the system.
To find out more, please click on the following links:
- Flyer: Property preservation contacts information sheet (PDF file, Adobe Reader required)
- MERS® Link subscription information
- Quick Facts: MERS® Property Preservation (PDF file, Adobe Reader required)
- Presentation, "The National Solution for Jurisdictional Property":presentation introducing the expansion of the MERS® System to include property preservation contacts
- Quick Reference Guide, Property Preservation: step-by-step illustrated guide for adding a property preservation contact through MERS® OnLine
- Quick Reference Guide, MERS® Link: step-by-step illustrated guide on searching for loans using MERS® Link
- Quick Reference Guide, MERS® iRegistration and Pre-Closing Registration: step-by-step illustrated guide for entering loans on the MERS® System where MERS is not the mortgagee
- Vacant Property Registration Ordinances: a current list of vacant property registration ordinances, sorted alphabetically by city or municipality. Information provided by Safeguard Properties.